Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Buckeye Recipe

Seems like all the comments I have had lately are asking for my buckeye recipe! So, I will gladly share.....they ARE wonderful. I have played with both shortening and paraffin and I have to say I completely prefer the texture you get with the paraffin, so I totally recommend it over other coatings.

This makes about 8 dozen (or if Stan is around, hand them all over along with a glass of milk and you will be amazed at how fast they disappear!)

1 c. (2 sticks) butter
1 pound confectioners' sugar
2 c. peanut butter (that's the equivalent of 1 jar)
1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
12 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 bar paraffin (notice it says bar, not package....I bought my box about 8 years ago I think? This lasts a long time and it is super shelf stable so no worries there)

Knead all together and shape into balls the size of walnuts (the hands of little girls are wonderful for making the perfect size of these and with 8 dozen of the little darlings, trust me, help is a good thing!). Melt the chocolate chips with the paraffin in the top of double boiler or in th emicrowave. Stick toothpicks into the balls and dip into chocolate so all of the ball is covered except top where toothpick is (If I am sharing them, I try to cover the hole up when I am done). This is what makes them look like buckeyes. Set on cookie sheet on wax paper. Chill til set.

Enjoy y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment